Ceramic restoration (CEREC) is a cutting-edge technology that allows dentists to create dental solutions in the space of a day, when those solutions have taken days or weeks in the past.
Thanks to this clever CAD (Computer Aided Design) system, dentists can manufacture custom-made crowns, bridges, and veneers, all in-office during your appointment. Traditionally, it would have required sending scans or impressions away to a lab to create these pieces, which would take weeks to send them back.
Now, your local National Dental Care or DB Dental dentist can offer these pieces in record time, giving you fast and beautiful solutions for your smile.
Here’s a little more about ceramic restoration, same-day smile technology, and how it can help you to rediscover your confidence in your smile.
What is Same-Day Dental?
Same-Day Dental is a treatment offering that uses Ceramic Restoration (CEREC) to provide services that previously have required weeks. These services include custom-made crowns, bridges, veneers, and implant crowns.
- Crowns: A crown is a thin cap that sits over your tooth, adding strength and protection for that tooth, as well as a more regular shape or a whiter finish.
- Bridges: A dental bridge is a structure that looks and behaves just like a real tooth, but is made from ceramic and attached to neighbouring teeth rather than being implanted into the gum and jaw.
- Veneers: Veneers are thin ceramic shells that are permanently cemented onto the front of the tooth, improving the appearance of that tooth and therefore your entire smile.
- Implants: Dental implants are false teeth that replace missing teeth, and are implanted into your gum and jaw. They look and behave like the real thing.
For all of these services, it usually takes multiple appointments and spans of time to have the structures made.
This is because your dentist will usually have to take scans of your teeth, send those scans to a lab, then wait for the lab to create your new structure and send it back to the dental office. Then, your dentist would make a new appointment with you to have the piece fitted.
CEREC technology eliminates the need to wait for a lab to create your crown, bridge, veneer, or implant crown.
In the case of emergency dental - such as if you chip your tooth and need a crown to protect it - this means you can receive full treatment with just one visit to your dental office.
In other cases, it can simply reduce the time between beginning treatment and finishing it. For example, if you need a dental implant, you will still need to have an initial surgery to place a fixture into your jaw, then wait for it to heal before being fitted for the crown that will cover the fixture and abutment.
No matter which Ceramic Restoration is right for your needs, it means you’ll receive a custom, natural-looking piece that’s ready in a fraction of the usual time.
It's all achievable in the same day because our ceramic manufacturing technology allows us to create a ceramic tooth right here in the practice. We take the time to ensure each crown has the optimal fit in your mouth and provides lasting comfort.
How does Same-Day Dental work?
Same-Day Dental (also known as Same-Day Smile) uses Ceramic Restoration technology, or CEREC (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics).
Instead of your dentist taking a mould of your teeth to send to a lab, a CEREC machine will take a 3D scan of your teeth using imaging software in order to create custom-made solutions.
Then with computer aided design (CAD), it will use a ceramic block to create your restorative piece, whether that’s a crown, bridge or veneer. This piece will be colour-matched to your existing teeth, so it won’t stand out in your smile.
This process of creating a ceramic restorative piece will usually take roughly 60 minutes, and during this time, you can relax in the waiting room, or pop out to the shops.
As this technology is still quite new, not all dentists have the ability to offer Same-Day Dental services just yet. If you’re looking for Same-Day Smile services, get in touch with your nearest National Dental Care or DB Dental office to see if they offer this option, or to find out where the nearest office is that does offer CEREC.
Advantages of Same-Day Dental and CEREC
Same-Day Dental is a fantastic service thanks to CEREC technology, and it offers a number of benefits for patients:
- Faster turnaround: With CEREC, patients don’t have to wait for restorative devices to be built, meaning a much faster turnaround and in some cases, treatment that’s possible within a single day.
- No messy moulds: The 3D imaging means that patients don’t have to bite into messy, uncomfortable moulds to get a good map of their teeth.
- Less room for human error: The traditional process for creating restorative devices is excellent, but does leave room for human error in the mould-taking process and creation of the device. With CAD technology, there’s much less room for error.
How much does Same-Day Dental cost?
The cost of Ceramic Restoration will depend on which piece you need, and how many if you are having more than one, but it will typically cost around the same price as its more traditional counterpart.
For example, a Same-Day dental crown will typically cost between $1,500 and $2,000, which is in the same ballpark as a traditional crown.
Additionally, your private health insurance may help to cover some of your Same-Day Smile costs, so be sure to check your policy and chat to your dentist about fees before you come in.
What to expect from your Same-Day Dental / CEREC appointment
Every Ceramic Restoration appointment depends on what treatment you receive, but here’s what to expect for a Same-Day veneer treatment to give you an idea.
- Brush and floss before treatment
- The dentist will prepare your teeth to receive the new restoration
- This will usually include getting a local anaesthetic
- The dentist will use a camera to produce a three-dimensional (3D) model of the tooth
- The dentist will use an on-site milling machine to create a ceramic prosthetic
- CEREC will take roughly 60 minutes to create your ceramic restoration
- Once the restoration is complete and your teeth are ready, your dentist will use a permanent dental cement to attach it to the tooth or teeth
- Your dentist will check your bite and make any final adjustments for the fit
- You can go home and eat normally, with anaesthetic wearing off after a few hours
Are there any potential complications?
As with any dental procedure, there are risks associated with getting a Same-Day treatment.
There is a chance the nerve of the tooth can become sensitive from the drilling and this usually settles with time, but in rare cases, it may result in the nerve having to be removed from the tooth.
Additionally, any crown, veneer, implant or bridge can get damaged, cracked, or lost over time.
Our dedicated dentists welcome the opportunity to provide each patient with a full dental evaluation and to indicate whether Same-Day Dental is the right option for them. For more information, please contact us about our Same-Day dental restoration service.
Find your nearest dental office and get in touch today to schedule an appointment.