Maxillofacial and oral surgery are recognised specialties of highly-trained and qualified dental surgeons who perform corrective surgery for conditions affecting the maxillofacial area, including the head, neck, face, anda jaw.
Dentists in Australia require an additional three to six years of training to qualify as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.
What can be treated?
Areas that might be treated include:
- Surgery where implants are required to attach hearing aids
- Complex tooth extractions
- Dental surgery on medically vulnerable or compromised patients
- Bone grafts
- Corrective surgery on jaws
- TMJ Disorder
- Reconstructive surgery to fix bites
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding with a surgical or invasive procedure, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.