Holistic dentistry, also known as natural dentistry, focuses on the connection of your oral health to your overall physical and mental health.
National Dental Care's holistic dentists evaluate your lifestyle, habits, and diet in addition to your dental health when they are assessing your dental issues. They also work closely with other health practitioners, such as nutritionists, chiropractors, and medical practitioners, to give you the most comprehensive care available.
Learn more about holistic dentistry and how it can help you achieve your smile goals.
What is holistic dentistry?
Holistic dentistry takes the approach that your dental health is connected to your overall health.
A holistic dentist believes that anything going on with the rest of your body has an impact on your teeth. Therefore, a holistic dentist will give treatment and advice that will focus on both your teeth and overall body’s health.
That’s not to say that a holistic dentist is unqualified or cannot perform general, ‘traditional’ dentistry. In fact, a holistic dentist has the same qualifications as a general dentist, and can perform the same treatments and procedures.
The key difference is that a holistic dentist will also spend additional time discussing your overall health, and will chat through the ways that it could be affecting your oral health.
How does holistic dentistry work?
As mentioned earlier, holistic dentistry works much like normal dentistry, but with an extra focus on your general health as well.
Your holistic dentist might ask about your health and wellbeing, with questions related to your diet, exercise routines, stress levels, and any ongoing conditions you have or medications you take. They may also do extra examinations or tests, such as a blood pressure test.
These dentists must still pass their dental exams and earn the same qualifications as regular dentists, but they may also have additional qualifications in holistic healthcare.
This means they can offer your usual dental check-ups and traditional treatments for dental issues such as fillings or wisdom teeth removal, but they may also offer advice and recommendations for other holistic treatments.
For example, they might suggest massage, acupuncture, or aromatherapy, and they could offer suggestions for dietary and lifestyle changes that could positively impact your general health, as well as your dental health.
Not all dental practices offer holistic dentistry, but there are plenty of practices available across Australia where you can go for natural dentistry.
Advantages of receiving holistic dentistry
Holistic dentistry may offer a number of key benefits for patients which include:
- A more general health focus: Patients looking for a more general health focus may find that holistic dentistry offers a wider range of health treatments.
- Alternative treatment options: A holistic dentist may offer alternative treatments such as acupuncture and hypnosis to help with general and dental health issues, on top of traditional dentistry treatments.
- Treatment suited to your preferences: If you follow a natural lifestyle and prefer a holistic approach to your health and wellbeing, a holistic dentist can perfectly fit into your lifestyle decisions.
How much does it cost to see a holistic dentist?
The cost to see a holistic dentist is typically a little more expensive than it is to see a general dentist. This is usually because a holistic dentist may charge more for their holistic advice and expertise, or for the alternative treatments.
Organic and natural products can often cost more than their traditional dentistry counterparts, so it’s good to be aware of the added cost before you arrive.
What to expect from your holistic dentistry appointment
A holistic dentistry appointment is similar in many ways to a general dentistry appointment, but with some key differences. Here are some points to consider:
- Brush and floss your teeth before you arrive
- Be prepared to discuss any medications you currently take
- Your holistic dentist will do a physical exam of your teeth
- They will take x-rays to check the health of your teeth under your gums
- They may take other tests such as a blood sugar and blood pressure test
- Your dentist will do a professional clean of your teeth
- Your dentist will ask about your dietary habits and other lifestyle factors such as exercise and stress levels
- They may suggest holistic treatments and options for your oral and general health, including both traditional and non-traditional dental treatments
- The whole appointment will likely take about an hour
Speak to a National Dental Care Holistic Dental specialist today
If you’re looking for a holistic dentist near you, who can assist in improving your dental, physical and mental wellbeing, reach out to National Dental Care for advice.
Find your nearest dental practice and get in touch today to schedule an appointment.