If you’re considering a dental implant, one of your first thoughts may be “are dental implants worth it?”. In this article, we’re taking a look at dental implant treatment so we can answer all your commonly-asked questions about tooth implants.
From what dental implants are and what happens when you get a tooth implant, to whether they hurt and how much dental implants cost, we’ve covered all you need to know - so you can decide for yourself if dental implants are really worth it!
What does a dental implant treat?
Dental implants are used to replace a missing tooth. Unlike removable tooth replacements like dentures, dental implants are fused into the jawbone, providing a permanent tooth replacement solution.
There are many advantages of having a dental implant, including:
- The confidence of a restored smile
- Greater comfort and improved speech
- A more convenient option than alternative treatments such as dentures
- Long-lasting durability - dental implants can last many years to a lifetime
What does dental implant treatment involve?
Are you wondering what happens during a dental implant procedure? Keen to know if tooth implants hurt? Here’s what you need to know:
1. First, your dentist will take scans and x-rays of your teeth and mouth to identify exactly where to place the tooth implant.
2. The dental implant will be fitted into your jawbone in a minor operation. Usually, this will be carried out under anaesthetic, so you won’t feel any pain during the procedure.
3. Over the next few months, the bone around your dental implant will grow, fixing it into place. Once this dental implant is stable in the jawbone, your dentist will create a foundation for your new tooth to be inserted into.
4. Your artificial tooth will be designed and manufactured, ensuring it's the right shape, size and colour to match your surrounding teeth.
5. Finally, the artificial tooth will be placed into the foundation, leaving you with a new tooth that looks and functions just like your natural tooth.
As you can tell, having a dental implant will require multiple visits to the dentist.
Do I have to get a dental implant if I have a knocked-out tooth?
Although our teeth are made of the strongest substance in our bodies - enamel - they can still get knocked out relatively easily.
A tooth can become knocked out as a result of a collision on the sports field, falling on your face, being involved in a car accident, or any other type of hard impact that involves your mouth.
The question is - if you have a knocked-out tooth, do you need to have it replaced with a dental implant?
Firstly, replacing a missing tooth is extremely important for more than just addressing that gap in your smile. Leaving a missing tooth without treatment can lead to a range of more serious problems, including:
- Problems with biting or chewing
- Shifting of remaining teeth
- Uneven pressure during eating
- Lack of support for the cheeks, leading to a hollowed facial appearance
Dental implants are one of the most effective, long-lasting and natural-looking ways to replace a knocked-out tooth. Your implant will function just like your real teeth and you won’t even be able to tell it’s artificial.
Alternatives to dental implants for knocked-out teeth include dental bridges and dentures. Your National Dental Care Group dentist can discuss the different options with you and advise on the most suitable treatment option for you.
Are dental implants worth it?
If you have a missing tooth or teeth - whether from an accident or other reason - a dental implant is a fantastic solution that lets you get back to your normal activities without the discomfort, inconvenience or oral health risks of a missing tooth.
Wondering what a dental implant costs? The cost of a tooth implant will vary depending on the location of your missing tooth, how many teeth need to be replaced, and other factors such as your overall dental health. For more information on dental implant costs, check out How Much Does a Dental Implant Cost in Australia?
By restoring your smile, a dental implant can result in a dramatic improvement in your confidence, as well as offer a wide range of health benefits. What’s more, having a dental implant procedure at your local National Dental Care or DB Dental practice means you can be sure of a safe, comfortable and professional experience that gives you back your beautiful smile.
Book your dental implant treatment with your National Dental Care dentist
Find out more about dental implant treatments with National Dental Care Group and find your local practice to book a dental implant treatment today.